Friday, January 22, 2010

The Current Economic Downturn

Couldn't the recession have skipped over our generation? It's not easy being a product of it, and it's even harder to find a job during it. My hunt started in January 2008... and ended in March 2008 when I got pregnant with Ali. Then started up again in September 2009. I have applied for countless positions, filled out numerous applications, and went on several interviews. Nothing. Why? I have a Bachelors Degree, work experience, and a cute face (just kidding people.) Unfortunately so many people lost their jobs that something I would normally qualify for is propably going to an overqualified 50-year-old. I shouldn't complain though, I still have a roof over my head and food on the table... and a healthy family. That's a lot more than most others can say right now.

It's so depressing to drive by little mom 'n pop shops one day and see a FOR SALE sign on their door the next. I used to wonder how people allowed themselves become homeless, and now I see. No one chooses to hold a sign on the corner of a busy street (well, I guess for the exception of some - some people actually do it as a real job. No joke.) These poor people have no where left to go and no one to turn to - they're forced to sink to ultimate lows for their families (Gay for Pay anyone? Sorry, had to throw a joke in somewhere.) This economic downturn has taught myself, and I'm sure others, things a college degree could never teach. It's unfortunate that it had to happen this way.

Sorry for the depressing post, but this is what's on my mind. These days it's hard to donate money for so many of us... every penny counts, but there are little things you can do. Donate some clothes. Smile at a stranger. Volunteer. Or just take your cart back after you've finished grocery shopping darnit! All these acts of kindness will come back to you in some form, and even if they don't... it'll make you feel good and it'll make someone else's day just a little bit better!

Till next time...

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya. As much as I hate my job sometimes, I'm so thankful that I do have a job al7amdulillah.

    As for being in a depressing mood, I'm depressed right now that my favorite talk show host will be off the air for the next 8 months. That's a comedy recession I hope I can recover from, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Nawal! Way to make me giggle! I think you'll survive. Can't you netflix old seasons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I'll survive, I'm sure. Hulu will have to do for now. It's not just that he'll be off the air but the whole situation and what led to it makes me sad. You know, I'm one of those crazy die-hard fans that people look at funny. So don't mind me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your post makes me thank God I'm not in the states now. I'm forturnate to be riding this recession out, over seas! I'm totally proud of you for keeping positive. It is much easier to get through a difficult situation while keeping the blessings in mind.

    Good luck with the job hunt.

    ReplyDelete